Monday, June 23, 2008

Dinosaur Cake


This cake was actually easy to make but very time consuming. With cakes like this you can start 2-3 days in advance and I should have done more in advance than I did. Just to make things easier the day of. I researched a lot of recipes for the cake, frosting, and fondant. I was very pleased with the results. The instructions (not the recipe) are on this website.

Most people hate making cake because they don't like how it turns out. The website said it would be best to not use a boxed cake mix or it's more likely to crumble so I made a white cake from scratch and it turned out perfect. It was easy to make and so I'll probably use this recipe more often. As far as the icing for decorating you need to use a butter cream icing. I didn't like a lot of the recipes I came across because they used Crisco and not butter. I also love cream cheese frosting but knew it was too thin to use on the cake (although I did use it on the cupcakes). So I found a Cream Cheese Butter Cream Icing and I altered it a little bit (which scared me since I didn't know if it would hold up). But it worked although the recipe made three times the amount of frosting I needed. As far as the fondant I would have spent more on the ingredients than it costs to buy it already made. You can buy it at Wal-mart (by the fabric) or at Michael's.

White Cake
  • 12 T. butter (1 1/2 sticks softened)
  • 1 1/2 c. sugar
  • 2 c. all purpose flour
  • 2 t. baking powder
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • 6 large egg whites
  • 3/4 c. milk
  • 2 t. vanilla extract
Set rack at the middle level in the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
Butter the bottom of 2 9-inch round or one 13X9 inch pan. Line bottom with waxed paper.

In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. Combine egg whites, milk and vanilla extract. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture then add half the milk mixture. Continue to alternate beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Scrape the bowl and beater often.

Pour the batter into prepared pans and smooth top with spatula. Bake cakes about 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the enter emerges clean.

Cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack, remove paper and let it cool completely.

**After it cooled completely I wrapped it in plastic wrap and then in tinfoil and put the cake in the freezer. I made it the day before and wanted it to be fresh and since I was cutting the cake up it's easier to work with if it's frozen. It doesn't change the taste or texture and actually makes it more moist.**

Cream Cheese Buttercream Icing
(Makes a lot of frosting and you could cut in 1/2 or 1/3 for one cake)
  • 6 lb. powdered sugar (3 bags)
  • 1 c. water
  • 2/3 lb cream cheese (10 1/2 oz., softened)
  • 1 c. butter (2 sticks, softened)
  • 1 1/2 c. Crisco
Place powdered sugar into mixer or large bowl. Make an opening in the middle of the powdered sugar with a scoop or large spatula. Pour the water in the center of the powdered sugar. Place the cream cheese in the microwave until just warm (about 30 seconds) and put in the middle with the water. Using beaters begin to mix. Add the butter and crisco into the sugar mixture and mix well until it's smooth and creamy.

**I also made this ahead of time. Be sure to store it in the fridge in an airtight container or bowl. Place plastic wrap on top of the frosting to keep from drying out. Rewhip before using.**


Cream Cheese Frosting

(for cupcakes)
  • 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 5 T. softened butter
  • 2 t. vanilla
  • 2 c. powdered sugar
Mix the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until combined. Add powdered sugar. You can add more powdered sugar until it's the consistency you like.

**Also if storing place plastic wrap on top of frosting to keep from drying out.**

2 comments:

Amber said...

Again you did an AMAZING job on this cake. But you forgot the best part about making the cake-THE FIRE in your house! I wonder why you didn't mention that part?

The Peterson Family said...

You did such a great job!! You are so creative and not afraid to try new things. I do not have enough self confidence to do anything like this. I so need you to make this cute cake for Hayden's birthday. So I hope you are for hire!!!