Friday, May 2, 2008

You have to try this!

This was delicious! What's not to love pasta, chicken, bacon, cream sauce, cheese. (Typing that reminded me of the episode of Friends where Rachael makes a trifle with hamburger and Joey says what's not to like jam-good; meat-good; etc. I love that show, anyways, back to the recipe) I'm sure you could also just pan fry the chicken in the sauce if you didn't want to use a crock pot or don't have the time. And I actually might try it next time without the chicken to see how it tastes because I bet it would taste amazing even without the chicken.

Garlic Chicken Farfalle

  • 1 lb (16oz) Farfalle pasta (bowtie)
  • 1 c. heavy whipping cream
  • 3-4 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
  • 2-3 cloves garlic crushed or garlic salt
  • 1/2 T. pepper
  • 1/2 c. butter
  • 1 lb. bacon crumbled
  • 1 c. shredded parmesan cheese
  • 1 (12oz) Lawry's mesquite marinade with lime juice (by the bbq sauce)
I didn't have any precooked, crumbled bacon left from Costco so I cooked up a batch in the oven because my dad always does and it was so easy. (I also tried a couple of pieces in the microwave but they were more chewy than crunchy so I prefer the oven and it's not as messy) Cover a pan with foil and curl the edges to contain the grease. Place the bacon on the foil and cook at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Keep an eye on it because it depends on the thickness how long it will take to cook. You don't need to flip the bacon either. Put the cooked bacon on paper towels to cool and when the grease is cool you can just crumple up the foil and throw it away. I think from now on I'll always cook my bacon this way.
Place chicken and the bottle of marinade in a crockpot and cook on low for 6 hours. I only had 2 chicken breasts so I used a couple of chicken tenders also. After 5 hours I used 2 forks and shredded the chicken in the crockpot so that it would absorb more flavor. It makes the overall sauce a lot stronger. Or you can do like the recipe suggests and pull the chicken out and let it cool then shred it.
Next cook the pasta. Drain and set aside. (Next time because the sauce was pretty strong I'll probably make 1 1/2 lb. or a box and a half of pasta and make a bigger batch.)
Then start the sauce. Melt the butter, add garlic, whipping cream, pepper, parmesan cheese, and cumbled bacon. Whisk together on low heat for 3-4 minutes.
This is what the chicken looked like shredded in the crockpot.

Next add in the pasta and stir.
Then add the chicken (but not the extra marinade) and stir to combine. You can sprinkle more cheese on top.

1 comments:

Tanya said...

i didn't try this recipe yet, but i did cook my bacon in the oven for the first time, and i'm sticking to it.